Thoughts for my fav writer with some of my own thoughts , AW Tozer.
In simple terms it is to learn to know God. What can we plain Christians do to bring back the departed glory? The answer is yes. We want to think it is some new knowledge or mystical code. No the real secret is an open one which the wayfaring man may read. It is the old and ever new counsel; Aquaint thyself with God, to see the Heaven opened and have a transforming vision of God!
The knowledge of Holy God is a free gift to men who are open to receive it, but with the obstinate nature of the fallen man does not take kindly to them. But it is also like Gods free gift of grace to all mankind, not easily accepted by man.
1) First we must forsake our sins. An evil man God can not be a part of. ” Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God.” So we must needs forsake sin in our lives to grow with Him and His knowledge, and as we draw closer sin becomes less of a problem and less of a desire to us.
2) We must commit our whole life to Christ in faith. This is what it truly means to ” believe in Christ.” It is to totally give of ourselves to Him in firm obedience to OBEY Him in all the corners of our hearts and lives. To keep His commandments, carry our cross, and love God as well as our fellow man.
3) And we must reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus, followed by a throwing open of the entire personality to the inflow of the Holy Spirit. Then we are open to be used by Him.
4) We then must boldly stand against the sins of this fallen world, and become totally detached in spirit from everything that an unbeliever sets their heart upon. Still loving the person not the sin as Christ did on earth.
5) We must practice the art of long and loving meditation on the Majesty of God. As I have learned it is not an over night revolation, but in time as we walk closer to the Great I Am, it will be easier.
6) As the knowledge of God becomes more wonderful, greater service to our fellow men, which in turn give us more joy to serve man as Christ did as He walked on the earth. And we will desire more of Him. The God who gave all to us and for us will continue to give all through us as we come to know Him better.
There is a glorified Man on the right hand of the Majesty in Heaven faithfully representing us there. We are left for a reason and a season among men; let us faithfully represent Him here.